This recipe, Sweet Potato Quinoa Bake recipe from Super Healthy Kids was appealing because of the possibility of changing up the vegetables in it. My 3 year old is trying to work through trying new vegetables so if I could find a recipe she liked and switch out vegetables, that would be easy for me. I'm also always looking for something I can make ahead of time and serve throughout the week to both little ones.
- Chicken Broth
- Seasoned Salt
- Chicken Breast
- Sweet Potato
- Cheddar Cheese
So we tried it! Here's our experience.
- Vegetable broth instead of chicken broth - just because that's what I had in the house.
- Leeks: We couldn't find leeks at the grocery store so since the blog mentions that leeks give the same type of flavor as onions but not as strong a taste, we went ahead and got some large green onions.
- Cheese: Also, we used sharp white cheddar cheese instead of traditional orange cheddar cheese.
Prep and Cooking
This dish was wonderfully easy to prepare and bake and you don't even have to cook the chicken, quinoa or sweet potatoes prior to mixing them together and putting them in the pan for baking.
It also looks so pretty when you mix it all together.
The Taste Test
- 3 year old - not a fan. I will, however, posit that she didn't give it much of a chance any of the 4 times I served it to her.
- 14 month old - loved it. He wanted seconds every time we served it. He also loves using his fork, so it was a fun meal for utensil practice.
- Mom - I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this. I do think I will like it even more with broccoli instead of sweet potatoes. It has the comfort food look, taste and smell but healthy!
It is also really good reheated! We are looking forward to making it with broccoli.
Did you try it? What did you think?