I like to try to use recipes from Team Nutrition's Healthy Kids Cookbooks: Cookbook for Homes and I try to involve my toddler when I cook. A favorite of mine is the Fiesta Wrap and it's a good one to get her involved.
What does she like to do?
- She loves washing her hands before any cooking task.
- Getting her own step stool.
- She loves rinsing the black beans in the strainer (she stands on a step stool and holds the strainer under the faucet).
- Mashing the black beans - they feel funny between her fingers. (we keep the black beans in the strainer and mash with our fingers).
- She dumps in all of the additional measured ingredients.
- Stirring is a highlight.
This is an easy one to do as she grows, she gets a little bit more involved. We started out when she was 18 months just rinsing the beans and her duties have grown as we both become more efficient in the kitchen.
Tips for you: Be prepared to repeat yourself regularly and patience is a necessity. Don't forget to leave extra time for cooking so you and the little one don't feel rushed.
It's so fun. Enjoy.