Memorial day is fast approaching which means a lot of things! Summer fun is imminent, the days are longer and most importantly it's a time to acknowledge, remember and honor people those in the military - especially those who have lost their lives.
Loss of life, war and protecting the country can all seem like big topics for young children but there are many ways to approach Memorial Day with an approach to educate the children about appreciation and history.
Here are some songs, crafts and more:
- Memorial Day Theme for Preschool from Child Care Lounge includes Memorial Day Songs and Fingersplays, USA Windsock, Thank You Notes, Math and Science, Motor Skill Movement and Snacks!
- Memorial Day Activities Theme for Preschool by Preschool Plan It includes Eagle Puppet, Parade Floats and Camoflauge Painting, changing up the dramatic play area, patriotic star matching, honoring pictures and more.
- Our Everyday Life provides some good talking points and a book to read.
Military Family Resources
Do you care for or support families serving the military? Or maybe military families transitioning into civilian life? Here are some resources to help you and/or the families.
- Sesame Street for Military Families resources to help children cope with the different elements of military life. Also provides resources to help adults talk with children about some of these tough topics.
- Better Kid Care provides FREE child care professionals serving military connected families with research-based information, resources and professional development.
- Some of the modules included:
- Deployment Through a Child's Eyes
- Connecting to Military Children Through Books
- Reintegration: When a Deployed Parent Comes Home
- Reflect and Respect Children's Military-Connected Identity
- Zero to Three also has a wide range of resources to support military families including an app for families, brochures and more.
- National Military Family Association
How do you like to celebrate Memorial Day with the children in your care? Comment below!