Hopefully in August, you'll recall the several calls to action regarding "lifting the caps" and supporting Senator Casey's bill regarding reauthorization for the Child Nutrition bill (CNR) which funds and legislates CACFP, School Lunch and Farm to School.
Originally, August and September were THE months to communicate with Congress because they would be voting on the budget in October. Well, that didn't happen. Instead they voted on a continuing resolution which means that there was no government shutdown and all federal funding remains the same until DECEMBER 11, which is the next date the budget goes to vote.
This means we have more time to show Congress how important it is to lift the caps. The National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC), as well as Head Start and other organizations have come together with a letter for organizations to sign to show support of the child care community.
The letter calls for:
- increases of at least $370 million for the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG)
- $1.52 billion for Head Start and Early Head Start
- $500 million for Preschool Development Grants
- $65 million for Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) for Infants (Part C) and $50 million for Preschool (IDEA Part B)
- raising the sequester cap for non-defense discretionary spending
If you are a CACFP Sponsoring Organization, part of a local or state child care association, state agency or other local and state organization please email email@example.com the name of the organization and state you are representing.
Providers, tell your local organizations to support you. Ask them to sign the letter! They can email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of their organization and state they are representing.
Let's have a strong showing so Congress knows how critical funding child care is to our communities healthy and successful development and economy!