What's cuter than kids in hats? Well, January 15, is National Hat Day. What can you do to observe National Hat Day in your child care? I have some ideas!
- A History of Hats - Images with brief descriptions
- Hats - wikipedia entry lists all of the different types of hats in a chart
- Multicultural - This pinboard has some beautiful images of children of different cultures and head wear.
- Heads Up - A Lesson plan that introduces children to diversity of headwear and the purpose of it
- Children can bring their favorite hats to wear for the day. Include a "show and tell" element for them to share why it is their favorite hat.
- Design their own hat with construction paper or other materials you have around. Maybe some cups or baskets or...let them get creative.
- Focus on dramatic play area with hats. Have the children try different hats on (they could even be plastic ones from dollar store or hats they made with construction paper).
- Opportunity for a multicultural element of your week. Introducing new hats each day and where they came from, maybe a little bit of history. Parents could volunteer to bring hats or other things worn on the head that represent different things from their culture.