January 8th is National Apricot Day and in honor of this we are sharing some links about apricots to make it easy to talk apricots with the kids! Try something new if this isn't a staple in your program.
Apricots - All About the Fruit
- From the Australian Perspective, a history, how they're harvested, ways to choose, cook and eat apricots
- All About Apricots from Kids Cooking Activities
- Heavenly Apricot Cobbler Bars
- Apricot Leather
- Apricot Chicken Recipe
- Baby Puree - Fruity Chicken with Apricot Puree
- Apricot and White Chocolate Cereal Bars
- Cheesey Apricots
- Celery with Apricot Blue Cheese Spread
Introducing New Foods
- Role model - they are more likely to eat what you eat
- Mystery box/bag - have the child decorate their mystery bag and put an apricot inside of it. Have them touch it and talk about what if feels, smells, sounds like. Then have them take it out and look at it. Do taste test! Further instructions and ideas for Mystery box or bag you can find in the Grow It, Try It, Like It materials. See Page 46. I've also found that used Kleenex boxes work great for something like this.
- It takes 12-15 times of trying the same thing before the child might like it.
- More in the Grow It Basics Book. See Page 17 "Growing Great Tasters" for food tasting tips.