Twitter might be more useful to you than you think!
- Just for narcissistic young people talking about themselves;
- Just for famous people Public Relations;
- Just for people to feel like they know famous people;
- Just for people to feel important and talk about themselves; and
- Useless tool for someone like me, I just use Facebook.
Twitter - It Really Is Useful for People Like Us
- Get up-to-date News Headlines from your favorite news source (i.e. New York Times or USA Today);
- Get quick information about your favorite bloggers latest post;
- Get updates from government institutions that tell you about recent food or consumer product recalls;
- Get exposed to not only the people that provide you good information but the people that provide them information;
- Develop relationships with people as you share their information with people you know; and
- Another way to establish a network of people that are interested in the same things as you.
How do I sign up?
- Go to http://twitter.com/
- click "Sign-Up"
- Fill out the information that Twitter prompts you to fill out
- Verify your registration with the email that was sent to your email acount
- Follow the guidance Twitter provides for setting up your profile and seeing if any of your email contacts are on Twitter
Pick some people and organizations to follow. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
What in the world do these things mean: @, #, RT?
- @ is a way for you to directly message people on twitter. You can do it on Facebook too, it is the same idea. People get notified that you have mentioned them directly in your tweet. It is nice to do if you retweet (RT) something that person has posted. It is a good way to get someone's attention too!
- # is called a hashtag in the Twitter world. When each and every person in the twitter world puts a "#" in front of a word or phrase it will create an entirely separate twitter feed for just that topic. For example if you search #preschool, you will get results of all of the tweets people have made that have to do with preschool.
- RT means retweet. This goes in front of a tweet that you are reposting from someone else's twitter feed.
Extra Twitter Tools
- Hootsuite: You can manage your Twitter, Facebook and Linked In account from one place http://hootsuite.com/
- Paper.li: You can create a daily digest of your favorite people to follow or hashtags(#) http://paper.li/
- Tweetdeck: This helps you manage your tweets, see who is tweeting directly to you and you can pick favorite feeds and more http://www.tweetdeck.com/.
The Twitter help, http://support.twitter.com/, section also has some great tips for using Twitter to its fullest potential!