I follow many many blogs by moms and child care providers. Activities that I often saw for toddlers included Pipe-cleaners, Pom Poms, and contact paper so the next time I was at Michael's I bought a package that included all of these items. I wanted to have it around the next time I was inspired to try something new with my little one.
Low and behold that time came and we actually included many of the ideas that I came across in one play session. My tot even made up one of her own which, of course, was her favorite.
- Contact Paper
- Fun Toddler
What Did We Do?
- Hung up contact paper
- Put the pom poms, Pipe-cleaners and feathers on the floor
- Stuck some items on the contact paper. Her favorite was putting on the feathers
- Put all of the materials inside of the colander
- Played Pop, Pop, Pop - shaking and moving the colander up and down (like she does with the parachute in her mommy and me classes). This was her favorite thing to do with all of the materials
- Flipped colander over and put the pipe-cleaners through the holes
She enjoyed all of these activities and as her age would indicate the part she liked most was dumping the items out of the colander and then putting them back in. Very fun to do all of this.
Placing the pipe-cleaners through the holes of the colander is a great independent play thing for her to do while we cook or clean. I've read it's good for her fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination as well as just being fun for her. If you don't have pipe-cleaners or a colander, we also use straws and strawberry baskets from the farmers market!
- Fine Motor Activity, Pipe Cleaners from Hands-On As We Grow
- 30 Activities that Promote Fine Motor Skills From Hands-On As We Grow
- 15 Fun Ways to Use Contact Paper from Learn with Play at Home
What fun things do you do with these materials? Share in the comments below!