Have you heard of the Power Pose? If you have, have you considered how you can best use it for your business? Let’s consider how this is relevant to you, the child care provider.
First: What Is The Power Pose?
The power pose is a life skill we should all use. It gives you a chance to turn around how you might feel in interactions with certain people. Amy Cuddy tells us that our “nonverbals” or body-language in normal language not only communicate how we feel to people but communicate to our brain how we feel. She did a couple of studies to see if how we “pose” or carry ourselves can change how our brains behave, which in turns changes how we handle certain situations. Guess what, it does!
Power Poses Can Give Us Confidence That We Don’t Think We Have.
Second: Why Would You Use It?
Imagine these common scenarios child care providers run into:
- Meeting parents for the first time to give them a tour of your facilities
- Sharing with parents that their child’s behavior has been rocky at best – maybe some biting, hitting or [insert topic parent might be sensitive about]
- Advising parents of new policies, such as sick policies or nutrition policies that need to follow
- Addressing unacceptable behavior such as tardiness or yelling at children from your assistant, helper or staff
- Conversations about raising your rates with parents
- Asking parents to respect your business hours and do drop off and pick up during your business hours
- Follow up on late payments
- Asserting yourself with your tax professional that he/she has missed something that can help you save money on your deductions
- And the list goes on….
You love kids, helping them grow and taking care of them but that doesn’t mean you love the business aspect of it, especially the selling or confrontation parts. No more shrinking, stay in control of your body language, even if nobody is watching. You’re still talking to the most important person you know – yourself!
Third: How Would You Use It? The Easiest Part!
Whether you are using the telephone, typing an email or about to meet with some parents you need to put your feet up on your desk or do the wonder woman pose for 2 minutes prior to the communication opportunity. Feel confidence begin to rise and even if you don’t think it makes a difference you can: Fake it ‘til you make it or as Amy Cuddy says, Fake It Until You Become It! http://youtu.be/Ks-_Mh1QhMc?t=19m32s
I challenge you to try it 3 times. Pay attention to how you feel while you are interacting in situations you commonly dread and see if it makes you feel better. The reaction of the person may or may not be different but at least YOU will leave the conversation knowing you were the best you could be.
This video is a TED Talk Called “Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are”, presented by Amy Cuddy, which shares her personal experience of becoming something she didn't think was possible as well as the fascinating research that informs us all how the power pose truly makes a difference in your brain chemistry and how you carry yourself after you do it.
Are you power posing now? I am!